1) Complete and send our Adoption Application Form - please only submit this if you are wanting to adopt a dog immediately. If you want to adopt in future please complete the form a minimum of 2 weeks before you want to adopt. We cannot hold applications for people who want to adopt in the future. If you simply have an enquiry, please use the contact form, click here
2) You will attach photos of your garden to the application form. They must show the full boundary fence/hedge on all sides which must be solid, 6ft tall and have a 6ft tall padlocked gate. For fences/gates which are slightly too short, trellis can be added to the top to increase the height and keep costs down. Unfortunately we cannot consider applications until the fencing is 6ft in height so please make any amendments to your garden fencing before you apply.
3) Receive a call back or email from one of the team to discuss your application, requirements and book a viewing (Please check your junk mailbox as often our 1st email we send goes into here). We try to call potential adopters back within a week, but as we only have a small team who deal with applications this process may take a little longer if we are experiencing a high volume of applications.
If we call, email or text and you do not get back to us within 1 week we will close your application. Unfortunately this does happen regularly and takes up large amounts of time for our staff. We are unable to continuously try to contact people who do not return our calls/emails.
4) Book a viewing to meet the dog(s) you have been matched with who appear most ideal to your lifestyle, bring photo and address ID so we can verify who you are.
5) Pay a reservation fee of £75.00 which secures your chosen dog whilst you get to know them. This holds your dog pending checks. Once reserved the dog will no longer be shown to other prospective adopters. You also receive important information and advice on what you need to do ready for bringing home a new rescue dog.
6) Take your chosen dog out for a walk, out for the day to your home, and get to know them in every way possible over the next week. You will need to arrange a hometrial to spend time with your new dog on no less than 5 days out of 7.
7) A homecheck will be carried out by one of our staff. Home checks over 15 miles from Oakwood require fuel costs to be covered by the adopter (45p/mile).
8) If everything goes well, complete the adoption process with signing the contract, paying the remaining adoption fee and take your new family member home!
If you like the sound of our process then please complete our Adoption Application Form. Remember you can't choose a dog from a picture. You need to meet the dog and get to know them, see how they fit into your home, family and life. That way when you do sign the adoption contract you know it will be forever.